Thursday 16 June 2011

Rough Riders vs. Boer Commandos Part1: Intro and Scoring System

Hello, and welcome to my first match-up on Blog-spot. Prepare for a battle between the two most famous Mounted-Infantry militiamen of the late 1890's.

Rough Riders:  

Created by Theodore Roosevelt, this tough and daring mixed-group of Americans (officially known as the 1st Cavalry Volunteers) would see action in Cuba during the Spanish-American War.

Boer Commandos: 

South Africa's Dutch-decedent settlers whose use of guerrilla tactics, and modernized weapons stunned the British military throughout the Second Boer War. 

Who is Deadliest?
  
 Musical Score from "The Untouchables" to read along with, enjoy.

Grading Scale:
Both sides will have most of their men dismounted. Grading system based on the kind used by afanofsparta (and to some extent Marek).

Weapons: 
Long Range [Primary and Secondary]: /40
Medium Range: /25
Short Range: /20
Special/Rare Weapon: /30
 
Armour/ Clothing/ Equipment:
Head: /20
Body: /30
Arms: /10
Legs: /10
Blocking: /15

"X"-Factors/ Mind Set:
Tactics/ Strategy: /30
Morale/ Motivation: /10
Rules of Combat: /10
Training/ Discipline: /20
Quality of Enemies: /15
*Bonus* Quality of Allies: /15 
Martial Arts/ Fighting Style: /15

*Bonus* Physique Level: (very low/low/med-low/medium/med-high/high/very high)

Speed: (-20/-10/-5/0/+5/+10/+20)
Agility:" "
Strength:" "
Endurance:" "

*Bonus* Overall Health[Physical and Psychological]:
/20


Weakness:
This will not be used for scoring, but rather as an examination overview of the weaknesses the warriors might have in their weapons, armour, or mind set/ "X"-factors.

Well hopefully you're excited about this new match-up (I know I am). Stay in touch for Part2: Rough Riders- Background Bio and Arsenal Info. Also, can anyone tell me how to make those voting polls?  
   

12 comments:

  1. Looks great man and I really can't wait to see the rough Riders! Will Teddy be in the battle? Also for the pol go to "design and add gadgets, then search for poll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliment and help. Will Teddy be in the battle? hmm... well if you think it will make the battle more interesting (and I guess it would make sense to do so), then sure. And the Boers can be lead by Christian DeWett (I think I may have the name spelled wrong here). Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His name was Christiaan Rudolf de Wet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or maybe De La Rey instead (I just found an awesome Afrikaner song about him).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dude :D Great matchup :D I'm really excited for this one. I like your rating system and your points scoring rubric. It's great stuff.

    Great music to accompany though ;)

    Ta

    Master of the Boot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I think I'll be reusing this music for the final part(p5) of the match-up. There's not enough stuff written here to go with this great music ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christiaan Rudolf de Wet is an rather dutch name and very commen in the Netherlands.

    Anyhow, exiting match up and you really put thought in your system.

    For me it is rather hard to choose because
    the boer commando is of dutch origin but Roosevelt is of Dutch origin too.

    Funny fact, both boer as roosefelt are dutch names

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot very much. I thought Roosevelt was more German, but I guess I was wrong, though not surprised (considering back in those days Americans would often say "Dutchman" when they were really referring to German ["Deutsch-man"]). I'm glad to here that you're undecided, because that to me means this is an equal (and therefore more epic) match-up! Hopefully though, you'll decide soon (or I might just re-extend the deadline for the voting poll instead). Also, I didn't know Christiaan Rudolf de Wet is a very common name in the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well yeah Roosevelt means Rosefield in Dutch. It is an rather old spelling.
    If you take a look at the man, he gave his presidential oath on a Dutch bible. What is more: His Cousin, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who also was president of the US spoke dutch.

    and Christiaan and Rudolf are Duch names. De Wet is probably an bastarding off de Wit.

    If you take a look at American history, a lot of American things are actually dutch. Like santaclaus. It comes from the dutch sinterklaas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I already know about the Dutch influence in American history. New York was originally a Dutch Colony (called New Amsterdam if I'm correct).

    ReplyDelete
  11. And Thanks for all of your information about Theodore Roosevelt (and how he's of Dutch-origin). That makes it easier for me to do something I've got planned in the Battle plot-line. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just added a new bonus X-factor: Quality of Allies /15.

    ReplyDelete