Friday 10 June 2011

Self-Introduction and My Writing Style/ Philosophy

Hello everyone, my name is Northern_Dancing-Guy (on Spike I'm Northern_Warrior-Song). I am a former college student who enjoys the arts (both visual, performance, and literary), reading, and Deadliest Warrior. With the power of Blog-Spot, and a little help from my friends, I hope to create some of the best Warrior (both historical and fictional) match-up masterpieces for all to enjoy. But first, let me start by answering a few questions, so that you can get to know me better.

 1. "What is in a name?"
Both of my names have multiple meanings to them, so I will try to explain as much as I can. Northern_Warrior-Song describes how I'm from Canada (Northern), my passion for singing and music (Song), and that I'm not only interested in "Deadliest Warrior" but also with the "warrior cats" books series written by Erin Hunter (Warrior) . The name also gives reference to a song by The Beatles ("Only a Northern Song"), whom I consider an all time favourite (even during their solo careers) in music. Finally, the three words combined together give the impression of a Viking saga told by a Bard/ Minstrel. Like the Bard/ Minstrel I come here to tell the great sagas between opposing warriors, and find out which of them is the deadliest.

My second name is similar, except "Dancing Guy" was the nickname given to me by my college buddies. Through my impressive dance moves, I soon became the life and soul of our weekend parties (in residence). This is to commemorate them and the good times we had.

Here is The Beatles "Only a Northern Song" that my one name is based on.  


 2.  Why did you join Deadliest Warrior and Blog-spot?
The first time I was introduced to Deadliest Warrior was at a College prep program during the first week of July (last year). When I watched "Sun Tzu vs. Vlad the Impaler" and "Musketeers vs. Ming Warriors" I became totally hooked onto it. Prior to this I had already been interested in history (especially battles and war), and a fascination for warriors and the different types of weapons. To see such weapons actually being used (on pig carcasses, sides of beef, gel torsos, and manikins) was mind-blowing back then, and the simulation battles always kept me on the edge of my seat. After that, I would not see Deadliest Warrior (since I don't have cable/ satellite at home) until I returned to college in the fall. 

After discovering the Deadliest Warrior website, I suddenly had access to the show's episodes (except Comanche vs. Mongol, and the machete/grappling hook test of "Medellin Drug Cartel vs. Somali Pirates" ), commentary discussions, and posted match-ups. But when Spike renovated (more like ruined) everything, so began the Winter of my discontent for Deadliest Warrior and Spike. When I decided to become active again, I began observing deadliest warrior match-ups written by other people, and later creating my own posted work (more on that later). Now with so many great match-up writers joining Blog-spot, the possibilities that can be done here (as compared to the lame-and-limited blog program that DW has), makes me feel the same way as, from looking at a picture/ drawing sketch of a weapon (in a book) to actually watching it work for real on near-human-flesh (during the show)! By joining Blog-spot, I hope to make such great match-ups better then I ever could imagine.
The above link leads to a video called "Husaria/ the Winged Hussars" (you might see this again later on in one of my match-ups). It features probably one of the most epic-sounding musical scores I've ever heard before (the very last few minutes always makes my hair rise)! When I had first seen this video (back in December/January), I realized the importance imagery and (background/ mood-setting) music could have on the way warrior match-ups are presented. A concept that is now being shared by many other writers on this site, especially Vercingetorix712 who uses it as part of his writing style/philosophy. Well enough talk on my part, just click on the link and let this video speak for itself (they say a picture says a 1,000 words, and there's a lot of pictures here).    




3. Writing Style/ Philosophy
If you have not seen Vercingetorix712's Self-Intro and Writing Philosophy posting, I suggest you check it out to see the different writing styles/ philosophies done by other people.
Before I began writing, I first started observing the match-ups that were already being posted on the site. While many of the ideas were good, most of them lacked enough information (about the warriors and the weapons being used), and during the simulation battles (especially those that involved squad-on-squad) it was sometimes hard to follow. I soon realized that I could create similar match-ups (mostly based on TheCowGoesMoo style at first) but more improved and interesting. Following the completion of my first match-up, a sort of "give-and-recieve" reaction happened amongst the writers (mostly between myself, TheCowGoesMoo, and afanofsparta) who were still active (at the time). Each of us would come up with a juicy tidbit of inspiration that the others would use to make their next postings better than before.

Epic Magnum Opus: Epic "Great Work", is perhaps the best way to label/ describe the style/ philosophy I'll be using. Basically it's a combination/ similarity to some of those used by others (iHonk, afanofsparta, Vercingetorix712, TheCowGoesMoo), with the intention to create an epic masterpiece every-time, and always improving what I can. On Spike's website, my match-ups were divided into Part1 (Intro, Arsenal, weapons info, the Edge, and predictions), Part2 (warriors' bio/info, and sometimes comparisons/differences), and Part3 (Simulation info, the Battle, results, evaluation/ conclusion). However, for future references, I might divide my match-ups into 4part series like other writers are currently doing.

 
The Beatles "It's All Too Much" from the same album as the one song above (both were written and performed by George Harrison). I've added this song too, because it seems to fit so well in representing my mental epiphany (and the infinite possibilities) with writing on Blog-Spot.
Thank you for reading, 
and now if you'll excuse me, I need to get started on a list of some of the match-ups coming soon.              

6 comments:

  1. Very neat, thanks for the shout-out! I'm now following your profile, and I'll help to promote your work though my own blog whenever you release something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I guess I'll try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your introduction looks absolutely wonderful Northern! I cant wait to see your future matchups listing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wait is over now, so see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey hey
    welcome. I saw on the DW website that you have some valid points and that you are not afraid for a clean discussion, that is always nice.
    Im looking forward to readingt your stuff, you can always read mine too if you like

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. Thank you, and Merci. I look forward to your reading too, and take a look at your writing too.

    ReplyDelete